Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making the Leap

How did you make the leap from online content mills to more lucrative writing? It seems like every time I hear about writing assignments that pay a bit better or are not as demanding,.it always ends in disappointment. The work is rejected or the employer does not deliver the work that has been promised. I feel I do have some writing talent and should be making much more than I do. I need to escape the sweatshops for writers.

Comments

• The best way is to go out and hunt down clients. Don't wait for a site to offer you work, offer you a system or anything like it - do what you would do if writing were your everyday business (which it is if you're a freelance writer).

Better-paid work is generally better paid because there's no middleman. There's no site taking a cut, no agent taking a cut, no sales person, no editor, no nothing.

Finding them is, of course, the challenge. I picked up my main regular clients through the bidding sites. Landed a job, did the work, was better than they expected, got more work. Local clients are a good idea, and you can always pop messages to the marketing and HR departments of pretty much any business - if you don't ask, you'll never know!

A lot of it is confidence, as well - if you believe your work is worth more (and you have reasonable skill), you can MAKE it worth more. I regularly see people who charge insane prices for their work and they write worse than you or me. :)