Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who edits your work?

I am fortunate to have editors that go through my written pieces on the content site I work on. They are pretty stiff editors and will reject the piece if I have a comma missing. At first I thought it was a little annoying, but I have to admit that the editing has made me a better writer and I have learned a lot about grammar. Do any of you work with editors?

Comments

• If you submit an article to a magazines or newpaper it will always be edited to fit the house style. All manuscripts accepted by book publishers are carefully edited so that the grammar and punctuation are correct when the book is published. Most people who pay for the content they publish onlline do not want anything on their website that lacks proper punctuation or does not have good grammar.

It's a good idea for any writers to work with an editor or at least to do a grammar check before submitting. I use the Microsoft grammar checker on my Word docs and I find it helps in picking up any errors or omissions.

• I don't usually have the pleasure of working with editors, but I think that's because I'm quite rubbish at finishing things, so I rarely get to that stage. :) But in the past I've often had fellow writer friends or even a family member look over my pieces of creative writing. I agree it's annoying at first. I used to be very stubborn and would often write off (ha) any advice I got as the other person just not "getting" it. That's easier to do with creative writing than non-fiction, I think.

These days I tend to edit my own stuff. I was a writing tutor for a couple of years so I learned a lot of ways to be more objective. I do sometimes wish I had that extra pair of eyes, but I haven't had a chance to find someone I trust enough (and can afford!).
  • I use the Microsoft editors as well, but find that they are not all that they are cracked up to be. It is nice to run the work through the spelling and grammar check, but the software still misses things. My way to do it is to run it through Microsoft grammar check and the sleep on the work overnight. An old professor taught me that trick because you are much more likely to find mistakes if you have not looked at the piece for a while.
  • I use my Word checks, and the 1Checker app. It's a little squirrely, but it's OK. It's free to use, too, so the price is right.
  • I edit my own stuff, but always leave it a day (at least) to make sure it's not too fresh. Anything over 1,500 words or so really needs a second eye, I find, simply because the length is hard to cope with and maintain neutrality. Reading aloud to yourself helps spot problems, as well.

For my book, I paid a professional editor. It was most definitely worth the money - she spotted stuff in the structure and tone that I would never have seen, especially on such a big project.
  • edited August 2015
    @SpikeWyatt, how did you find the editor you used for your book? I am looking into writing a book of my own but I am lost in the whole process. I heard that you can self publish things on Amazon, but I am not sure if I want to go that route or go with a traditional publisher. Any recommendations?
  • @Rosyrain: I found her on Elance.

I went the self-pub route because (a) it's free (even for paperback) and (b) it's easier. I really didn't want to troll around all the publishing houses, hoping someone would take on my book, negotiating contracts, dealing with all the hassle and all that. I just wanted to publish, so I did, and there was no way I was going to fork out stupid piles of cash for a vanity publisher!

I used CreateSpace (paperback) and KDP (Kindle) for mine, both through Amazon. They're decent services, pretty much the standard stuff you get most places. I would only worry if I wanted more control over everything, as Amazon are notorious for implementing some very strange rules, but for my purposes it was fine.

The Amazon route is simple. Write, edit, then put the doc on their system and publish it. It's almost as simple as that, though I complicated mine by getting third-party editing and someone to do the cover (neither through Amazon, as their prices were stupid).
  • @SpikeWyatt, When you publish on Amazon, does an actual book get printed or is it all on Kindle? Also, I have a Creates pace account, but I have not really used it yet. Do you actually print books through CreateSpace? I have to pick your brain on all of this as you seem well more ahead of the game than I am.
  • I edit my own work. I have tried Grammarly, but I found it annoying, because it kept picking up errors that weren't really errors, or were part of the work. I also write for Texbroker, and they will edit my work from time to time. I find them to be annoyingly picky however. Clients by and large, like my work, most rate it as excellent, so why should they care about every missed comma?