Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Content writing pool

This is just an idea of mine and don't take this seriously. I've been thinking since last week about organizing a writing pool. Since I have several friends who are good writers and probably veterans in writing website, it would be easy to invite them. The scheme is like this - we would be creating a blog each. For those with blogs already, they have to create a new one that is, of course, interesting enough. Now, we would be posting one article in one day and we should be reading, liking, and commenting on the articles of our co-writers in the pool. So if there are 10 of us then my blog would get 9 comments and 9 likes.

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Blog directories, networks and exchanges already exist. The problem is getting beyond your 9 visitors to actual, real traffic - and the way most do that is by expanding, and then your setup grows into something like Technorati or BlogCatalog.

And when it reaches any size greater than just a few people, the setup usually goes sour, like traffic exchanges. You end up with 95% of people who are members only because they want traffic. They have no interest in or intention of giving to the system, but simply take and do the minimum required to get what they want.

If you're still interested, do a quick search for blog directories. There are plenty out there, but be careful of the negative SERPs effect if you choose the wrong one - Google views many blog networks as "manufactured" traffic and links, and will down-rate you accordingly.
  • I don't know, I feel like it would be more effective if those ten people just created a single website or blog together that covers a few related topics. That way, instead of trying to generate traffic to ten different sites, everyone is working together to benefit a single site. It seems a little more efficient to me. Plus, you can have a couple of different topics, maybe unified under an umbrella category (example, an Entertainment site with subcategories of Music, TV/Movies, Games, and Books) and each person could be assigned to one or two areas. Sure, you don't get the benefit of immediately having comments made by non-contributors, but it does make it much easier to generate fresh content on a daily or near-daily basis. And like SpikeWyatt points out, you also don't run the risk of those involved taking more than they're giving and everyone turning against each other.
  • Thank you for the opinion you shared in this thread. As you may all know, I am still in a quandary on what I really want to do. It seems that I'm getting more confused as I learn the trade of online writing. I understand the chaos that a pool of 10 people might create when the going gets good. Money is an attraction for trouble.

So now I am back to square one. I'm actually trying to come up with a gimmick on mobilizing writers to my cause. This pool is just an example or parallelism. But if it works then we can get rich, so to speak.
  • I agree that you all should pool together to make one really good blog. You could all put your ideas together and set up schedules as to who would be in charge of working On the blog at any given time. One of the hardest parts of starting a blog is getting traffic to it, so it would be much harder to generate traffic to 10 blogs instead of one really good one. Are you thinking that this blog would generate money?
  • Spike speaks the truth. The trouble always comes in maintaining the scheme and the personnel. It's real easy to have the idea and start, but there's always one person who's giving more than the others, and one that isn't keeping up their part of the bargain, and that's when it all falls apart.
  • edited July 2015
    "I'm actually trying to come up with a gimmick on mobilizing writers to my cause."

Frankly and with no insult intended to any of the 750+ writers on WLE, the editors or anyone on this forum, the ONLY "gimmick" that mobilizes writers in third-party projects is money. There are still companies that somehow manage to convince people to write for nothing, to get involved and all that stuff, but the enthusiasm wears off in the end (usually pretty fast) and it all comes down to cold, hard cash.

As a perfect example, there have been two previous incarnations of WLE. They were both intended as apprenticeship/coaching programs for new writers: they wrote, I edited and provided feedback, they learned and between us we produced content that would sell, and shared the profits. 

The first incarnation lasted about four months, with half a dozen signups - only ONE of whom actually wanted to learn. The second incarnation was the original WLE, which ran for a year before it died... again because so few people were actually interested in learning to write better. 98% of signups (and there were a lot more in that incarnation) just wanted fast cash and sod the coaching.

Lesson learned: never believe anyone else will ever be enthusiastic about anything you love. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. :)
  • @spikewyatt I think the perception of online writing may have been what killed your two earlier incarnations. People assume that any online writing job offers pay. If not, they lose interest easily. An idea you might have considered is ranking writers. Writers complete content, you edit and give it a ranking and pay based on their ranking. You would then offer an alternate training program for those who wanted to increase their ranking and pay.

Although, my idea does sound like a lot of work!
  • edited August 2015
    @ctfranklin28: You'd think that, wouldn't you? But it wasn't. Quite simply, 99% of people just aren't interested in learning to do better. They only think of right now, this minute, and don't consider education or improving skills to be worthwhile. 

Seriously, both times the setup failed it was marketed as a coaching program to improve writing, with the money as a little extra encouragement. As in FREE coaching, AND you can earn some money as well. Doesn't work. Only 1% even read the edited content and tried to do better; the others just expected me to correct it for them, sell it for them and give them cash.
  • @SpikeWyatt, you hit it on the head. It is money that makes the world go round. And without money, nothing will move because, as far as I see, internet writers are in it for the earnings. In fact, I came to this site because of the earnings, to be honest at least. And I also believe that passion alone will not work. It's like saying love will keep us together.. without money, that is not possible.

You have a noble intention on that learning aspect, @SpikeWyatt although I don't think that is really feasible for now. Coaching to learn will not prosper because this is not a school albeit it is a free for all venue as far as writing is concerned. But anyway, I will be on the lookout for the gimmick.
  • You have to really work hard and be passionate about what you do in order to become a good writer. When I first started writing online I was one of those people who would write long articles for very low pay because I was just amazed that I could get paid to do it. I soon learned that I could write really good pieces and practice a little patience. The good pieces take a little while to see, but I get paid so much more.

It is sad that people write garbage just to make a few quick dollars and don't realize that if they learn and go through the coaching process, everyone is a winner in the end. I always pay close attention to what my editors say and I am a much better writer for it.